Thursday, December 01, 2005

Enter the 4th Horseman of the Apocalypse


As I've mentioned before, I sometimes make some surprising musical discoveries on the rare occasions when I switch from CNN over to my gym's proprietary music video channel. Today, I was lured away from Wolf Blitzer by the classic video for I Ran by A Flock of Seagulls (don't care what anyone says - that video and song grab me just as much as they did when I first saw them in 1982). The next video was for La La by Ashlee Simpson. Amazingly, I found myself actually liking the song (hence the reference to Revelations above)! Once the shock and awe wore off, I realized that it was because she (or her producer, anyway) was basically ripping off Garbage's sound, who in turn shamelessly ripped off Curve. And I liked Curve quite a lot back in 1992 or so. It's a shame that Garbage and now Ms. Simpson, the Younger, are making way more money off Curve's sound than they ever did. I'm listening to a few of my favorite songs from their great album Doppelganger -- Horror Head, Wish You Dead, and FaƮt Accompli, being among the finest. Do yourself a favor and check out Curve and reserve Ashlee Simpson for those moments when you're trapped on an elliptical cross trainer and the only other choice is CNN fluff.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home