Friday, December 02, 2005

The Unguarded Moment

The Church released El Momento Descuidado - essentially, an "unplugged" album that was recorded in a studio rather than live - (relatively) recently. I cherry-picked a few songs from eMusic.com. I was, and am, a huge fan of the Church up through Gold Afternoon Fix, but what little of their more recent work that I've heard just seems listless. This album suffers from the same problem. Songs that were great are stripped of all their magic and energy. Nevertheless, I think the version of Almost With You is absolutely stunning. That has always been my favorite Church song, and they do it justice. 408, which I'm not familiar with, is also very good. Tristesse, another classic, comes off well, although some might find Marty Willson-Piper's exaggerated croak a bit off-putting.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home