Tuesday, July 20, 2004

What's So Great About Wilco?

What do people think of this article: What's So Great About Wilco? I was into Wilco and Son Volt when their 1st albums came out after Uncle Tupelo broke up. I saw Wilco live several times (Son Volt once) and they rocked. But I haven't listened to any of Wilco's subsequent albums (except for the Mermaid Avenue thing with Billy Bragg). I know they've gotten a lot of critical acclaim but I'm just kinda tired of Wilco. I enjoyed Heavy Metal Drummer from YHF, but can't really get behind Hummingbird (from the new album). I mean, it's OK, but I guess I'm guilty of having a short attention span...

1 Comments:

At 9:57 AM, Blogger Steve Malloy said...

I think that this article is written by someone who lives in the East Village and thinks that they are cooler than thou...put it in your pants about the Minutemen and Radiohead tearing apart form...

Hey is Wilco revolutionary? No. But they are very good. This new album I really liked at first but I have not found myself going back to listen to it time and time again, so not sure it will reach classic status. The song Handshake Drugs though is unbelievable.

Summerteeth is the best album by Wilco and I have listened to that somewhere on the order of 500 times. Shot in the Arm, I'm Always in Love, Via Chicago, all these songs blow my mind everytime I hear them. Funny thing is the only song I hate on that album is the song made for radio play.

I think the big thing with Wilco is that in an age of diminishing options for listening to music on the radio because of consolidation and with record companies much more focused on immediate profits than art, YFT was viewed by many as a huge backlash. While it was a good album, it certainly sold was more albums because of the hype around getting droppped.

In sum, still really love Wilco but not sure they are the second coming...

Also I was listening to Northern Illinois University radio this morning and I am only led to conclude that the only good stations these days are college radio...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home