Monday, June 20, 2005

New Albums from Old Standbys

So there has been a flurry of new music released...some quick thoughts...

Coldplay - Nothing new covered in this album. If you like the old stuff, you'll like the new. I used to hate Radiohead for ever leaving The Bends era but now after listening to X&Y, I completely understand why they did...that said White Shadows and Low are both solid tunes. Also recently listened to the Live album from a couple of years ago, the songs Moses and One I Love are both very solid and should be added to the collection if you like Coldplay. I do have the Joshua Tree feeling with this band, which is, I like the album but cannot stand the band for now. Way, way overblown. Perhaps they will recover and turn out their Achtung Baby and make me think they are the coolest band on the planet, but throughout the album I kept having the same tough time as when I heard "I Still Haven't Found What I Am Looking For" and thought, if you haven't found what you are looking for when you appear on the cover of Time, Newsweek and every other magazine on the face of the earth, while pocketing millions and getting to tour to any city on earth you have ever wanted to see, well you are never going to find it.

Oasis - see above...though this new album Don't Believe the Truth is a quantum leap better than recent albums. It appears that they are actually trying to make good music again instead of snorting and injecting away their talent. I like The Meaning of Soul and Turn Up the Sun quite a bit.

New Order - Like this the most of the three. I agree with Drew that the early days are long gone but Waiting for the Sirens Call and Hey Now What You Doing both made me smile...

Just downloaded Ryan Adams, White Strips, and Gorillaz so more about them soon.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home